Project Manager (Process Engineer)
Date Posted: October 6, 2020
Company: Sulzer GTC Technology US Inc.
Reports To: Engineering Director, US
FLSA Status: Exempt
Must Be Authorized to Work in USA
Leading or executing engineering activities as Process or Project Manager, for engineering documentation from technical studies and proposals, up to Feasibility Studies and Basic Engineering level, in refinery and petrochemical industry, but not exclusive. Supervising and leading engineering activities. The Project Manager will evaluate projects according to predetermined timelines and budgets and ensure quality control throughout the project lifecycle. The Project Manager will serve as a single point of responsibility for these projects and will apply professional principles, practices, and techniques to manage project execution, schedule, costs, risks, issues, and change management to ensure the project meets the development team’s needs.
NOTE: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading/conducting engineering activities at Basic Engineering, Feasibility Study or Proposal level as Process or Project Manager
- Leading teams of engineers in different engineering activities
- Direct participation at process design activity
- Reviewing and supervising all types of process design work part of typical BE “Package A”-type documentation
- Responsible for the quality of engineering activities executed under his lead
- Responsible for the execution on schedule and budget of different engineering documentations under his lead.
- Interacting with Customer as GTC representative during the execution stage of a project.
- Assist in the identification and follow-through on corporate strategic initiatives, as they relate to outside parties.
- Assist in client communications to facilitate open discussion for improvements, protocols and procedures.
- Planning and tracking all project activity, responsible for on-going milestone activity and reporting, commission activity report to accounting.
- Managing communication with the team, client and management
- Managing the quality of project team deliverables
- Managing the project budget
- Reporting on status and risks
- Manage customer expectations
- May perform other duties as assigned
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
- Very good understanding of design of refinery plants
- Excellent understanding of engineering activity
- Leadership qualities
- Excellent technical knowledge making able to check/supervise all steps of BE design work
- Able to participate directly at design activity when necessary
- Must demonstrate strong communication and presentation skills.
- High paced growth environment-need to be comfortable managing many different related roles within the organization.
- Must be able to manage multiple, detailed projects and prioritize urgent needs simultaneously.
- Excellent planning, organization and analytical skills.
- BS in Chemical Engineering required, MS Chemical Engineering (preferred)
- At Least 12 years’ experience in Chemical/Refinery field
Expertise in refinery area including:
- Aromatic extraction by extractive distillation
- Styrene recovery from pygas by extractive distillation
- Toluene Methylation
- Selective Toluene Disproportionation
- Catalytic processes (hydrotreating, C5 / C8 isomerization, transalkylation)
- PX crystallization
- Separation by distillation
- Proficiencies with at least 6 years’ experience to include process simulation (i.e. PRO/II, ASPEN Plus, and HYSIS), heat and material balancing, process flow diagrams, design temperature and pressure Diagrams and equipment specification is essential.
- At least 10 years’ experience in processes and equipment including reactors, compressors, pumps, fired heaters, heat exchangers, vessels/drums/tanks, distillation and other separation equipment.
Language Ability: Excellent verbal and written communication in English, with the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the engineering execution team; read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
Reasoning Ability: Must solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists, and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Excellent knowledge of Process simulators such as SimSci, Aspen, Hysys,ProII at the level of using it or review/checking other work.
- Very familiar with entire Microsoft Office package
- Good knowledge of other process design software (HTRI, B-Jac, etc.)
- Able to easy assimilate in-house process design calculation tools – spreadsheets
Certificates and Licenses: PE certification is preferred but not required.
Work Environment: characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Education / Experience
Sulzer GTC has an excellent benefits package that will be discussed during the interview process.
How to Apply
Send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and enter ‘Project Manager’ in the subject line.
Energy Corridor, Houston, Texas